The pandemic changed many things about our everyday lives, but it also highlighted on interesting shift in the workplace. The prominence and influence of purpose is stronger than ever, especially among employees. That is startlingly clear in Carol Cone On Purpose‘s new research released in partnership with Allison+Partners, The Harris Poll and Headstand: Purpose Under Pressure. The study also examines how the C-Suite can shape a culture of Purpose within their organizations and how you can use these ideas to bring on and retain employees.
The research was conducted online in the Inited States among 352 B2B and B2C Business Professionals. All qualified respondents held a title of Manager or higher, worked at a company with at least 100 employees and came from a variety of sectors. The research was conducted from February 15 – March 8, 2022
- 91% of employees say their company’s Purpose makes them feel like they are in the right place as we weather ongoing challenges, such as the pandemic and economic risk.
- 88% say they truly believe companies focused on Purpose will be more successful compared with those who are not.
- 84% say the pandemic, economic uncertainty and social justice conversations of the past two years have made them think more about how their work can have a positive or negative impact on society.
- While 50% of business professionals rank work/life balance and 48% salary/compensation as the first or second most important elements when considering a new or current role, an organization’s Purpose – knowing the company has a positive impact on society – is the next consideration ahead of culture and professional development.
- Employees state that they:
- 86% believe having “meaning” in their work is more important to them than ever
- 84% will only work at Purpose-driven companies/brands
- 84% feel more empowered than in the past to use their work as a force for good
- Nearly 90% of employees said companies would be well-advised to double down on Purpose, and only 53% of staff said their company’s Purpose was mature*.
- In terms of actionable items to move Purpose forward, employees stated companies need to embed Purpose more deeply (77%), behave in ways more aligned with its Purpose (75%) and better define the company Purpose (68%).