Today on Cause Talk Radio, Megan and Joe talk to Ken Ungar, Founder & President of U/S Sports Advisors. Ken is a “newsjacking” expert and author of the book Ahead of the Game: What Every Athlete Needs to Know About Sports Business.
Newsjacking, which Ken defines as When a brand takes advantage of a popular story or topic and inserts itself in the news cycle, is becoming an increasingly popular tactic for companies that want to ride the wave of someone else’s popularity.
But can newsjacking work for nonprofits and causes?
In this podcast and post, you’ll learn:
- How causes can plan to respond to a breaking story
- Why your cause needs to think and operate like a newsroom
- What cautions you should take to avoid a negative backlash
- Good and bad examples of newsjacking
- The difference between newsjacking, causejacking and charity-jacking – and how they can all mean more awareness and money for your organization!