The fact that 1 in 10 people in the world today doesn’t have clean water is unacceptable, and we need you to help change that. WaterAid is the #1 international nonprofit exclusively focused on bringing clean water, sanitation, and hygiene education (WASH) to the children and families who need it most. Our global WASH programs, led and maintained by the communities where we work, aren’t a quick fix. We strive for long-term access to WASH that truly transforms people’s lives.
To fuel WaterAid’s global mission and programs, the Partnerships Team drives efforts to increase WaterAid America’s impact through innovative, high-value partnerships with a diverse set of donors. In developing new and existing partnerships, the team also initiates dialogue and collaboration with value-add objectives, such as raising mutual brand awareness with consumer-facing companies, policy and influencing, advocacy, and/or technical service delivery. A key team principle is prioritizing relational over transactional giving.
To support WaterAid’s global mission, we are seeking a Corporate Development Manager to support strategy development and execution to secure flexible funding. Reporting to the Director of Partnerships, the Manager will serve as the in-house expert on employee activation and social impact marketing models, leveraging this to scale the scope and value of WaterAid America’s corporate partnership portfolio.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- With the Director and in coordination with other members of the Partnerships team, develop and implement annual and long-term strategies to grow unrestricted income from U.S. corporations through employee engagement, workplace giving/matching gifts, and brand partnerships, with a target of $600K in general support in the first year
- Secure, steward, and grow unrestricted corporate relationships, managing the entire sales process from qualification of corporate prospects through to delivery of activations and campaigns
- Conduct and analyze market research to develop WaterAid’s value-add in the US market, generate insights, and identify areas of opportunity for new business development, including generating partnership concepts that would appeal to prospects and current donors based on alignment with business and philanthropic goals
- Customize general support pitches based on corporate social responsibility, sustainability, marketing, and/or human resource goals, with partnership design reflecting corporate drivers for non-profit partnership
- Create high-quality proposals and engagement content (narratives, pitch decks, budgets, reports) to support both new business development and partnership implementation in close collaboration with the Communications team
- Engage design skills to develop turnkey opportunities to engage small- and medium-sized businesses seeking to support WaterAid’s mission while growing their audiences
- Support relationship managers in the design and delivery of virtual and in-person engagement events for new and existing corporate partners. Tasks include, but are not limited to liaising with corporate partners; creating event briefs, internal communications plans, and co-branded presentations; scheduling rehearsals; operating technology; and event follow up
- Work across teams to operationalize a menu of employee engagement opportunities and resources and assist in converting employee donors to individual recurring donors in coordination with the Philanthropy team
- Assess prospective partnerships and inbound request, balancing potential value with team resources and capacity
- Manage and renew corporate giving vendors and tools, including maintaining organizational profiles and completing matching gift registration, evaluating performance and return on investment
- Report on new business development efforts, maintain accurate and timely records of all prospecting and partnership conversations, and support gift confirmation and revenue tracking in Raiser’s Edge in collaboration with finance and operations staff
- Represent WaterAid at networking events to elevate the brand profile among external audiences
Skills and experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in business development and fundraising, including at least 3 years’ experience working on revenue-generating partnerships between non-profits and corporate donors
- Proven track record of successfully securing corporate financial support through employee engagement, fundraising, and/or cause marketing campaign development and execution
- Familiarity with corporate giving platforms, such as Benevity, Bright Funds, YourCause, CyberGrants, and others
- Demonstrated understanding of relationships between corporate social impact, employees, and consumers, as well as of best practices for designing partnerships that maximize value for all parties
- Creativity and design skills to develop compelling communications
Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to develop a deep understanding of customer needs and collaborate to arrive at great solutions.
- Proficiency with various video conferencing tools, platforms, and software integrations and willingness to learn new applications
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel), as well as a CRM (Raiser’s Edge)
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities and manage competing tasks in a time-sensitive environment, meeting deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Positive and flexible approach to collaborating across teams and functions; comfortable working remotely and/or in a hybrid team environment towards shared goals.
- Professional manner and the ability to model and champion WaterAid’s values; exercise discretion, sound judgement and maintain confidentiality; ensure the safeguarding of organizational assets.
Desired skills and experience
- Experience working with or for corporations on international NGO partnerships
Familiar with the Sustainable Development Goals
Experience raising unrestricted funds for an international NGO
Experience working with a global organization and across multiple time zones and contexts
Data-driven and comfortable preparing, reviewing, and translating fundraising results
WaterAid offers a generous vacation and benefits package available to its full-time employees:
- Health (medical) insurance (WAA offers several options, ranging from 70-100% employer-paid for you and your dependents), dental & vision insurance (100% employer-paid for you and your dependents), and pre-tax Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for childcare, medical and commuter expenses
- Participation in WaterAid’s 403(b) deferred contribution plan (with personal contributions matched after 1 year of service, up to 5% of gross annual salary).
- Paid time off (PTO) including: 13 public holidays + a ‘floating’ holiday to be used at your discretion; 120 hours of PTO (with new and increased hours awarded annually), and 3 paid days for volunteering.
- Employee Assistance Program including Health Advocate, OneMedical, TalkSpace, and other services
WaterAid celebrates, supports, and thrives on diversity and difference for the benefit of our employees, our mission, and the communities we serve. WaterAid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from suitably qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We value diverse experiences and will also consider qualified applications from those who have had prior contact with the criminal legal system in accordance with the NYC Commission on Human Rights’ Guidance on the Fair Chance Act
WaterAid is committed to the safeguarding and wellbeing of all individuals, including the people in communities in which we work, staff, volunteers, contractors, and partners. Any form of abuse is not tolerated.
To apply for this job please visit wateraidamerica.bamboohr.com.