USA for UNHCR
USA for UNHCR is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Major Gifts Officer to join our dynamic Private Philanthropy team. As a major gift officer, you will play a crucial role in building and maintaining relationships with major donors to secure significant financial support for UNHCR’s humanitarian efforts worldwide. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Major Gifts, you will contribute to the organization’s mission of providing life-saving assistance and protection to refugees and displaced persons around the globe.
The Major Gifts Officer manages a qualified fundraising portfolio of individual major donors/prospects, carries an individual fundraising goal, and contributes toward the Private Philanthropy team (financial) goal(s).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Stewards, cultivates and solicits individual major gift donors and major gift donor prospects through in-person visits, video conferencing, and telephone calls
- Secures substantial funding for USA for UNHCR, contributing to the Major Gifts team goal by soliciting five and six figure gifts
- Works in conjunction with Director of Pipeline Development to identify potential major gift donors and cultivate new and existing relationships
- Updates CRM (currently Salesforce) with contact reports, engagement plans and tasks to ensure continuity of donor management
- Works with the Stewardship team to create donor-centered communications, such as impact reports and proposals
- Identifies/secures opportunities to raise visibility of and secure support for USA for UNHCR among Donor Advised Funds and Wealth Management Firms, as well as business and philanthropic leaders and other entities
- Take on other tasks as directed by the Senior Manager, Major Gifts and Senior Director, Private Philanthropy
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years of related experience
- In lieu of education/degree requirements a successful candidate will:
- Understand how to collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Be proactive with a strong mindset and willing to take risks, while also having the ability to learn from setbacks.
- Be relationship-driven and adaptable to new situations.
- Value diversity and take pride in cultivating an atmosphere of inclusion and various perspectives.
- Travel required – up to 40% in support of donor outreach
- Knowledge of principles of major donor fundraising, including moves management, major gift cultivation and solicitation processes
- Demonstrated ability to solicit and close five and six figure gifts
- Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to synthesize complex programs and projects into concise, compelling proposals and donor communication assets.
- Proven project management skills
- Outstanding self-motivational skills
- Proficiency in CRM (Salesforce preferred) and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of international humanitarian issues and/or experience working in the refugee or development sector is desirable.
- Must be self-sufficient and self-motivated
- Demonstrates sound judgement and strong decision-making skills
- Demonstrates emotional intelligence and integrity when interacting with employees, peers and donors
- Must be able to work successfully, both individually and as part of a team
- Ability to inspire and motivate others
- Ability to be diplomatic when making decisions and creating solutions
- Demonstrates passion for U4U’s mission
Remote or Hybrid + Washington, DC+ May also involve travel to some locations within the company’s region of operations and select donor locations.
USA for UNHCR will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
USA for UNHCR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Refugees and all other protected classes are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit usaforunhcr.bamboohr.com.