Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that responds to people affected by poverty or disaster with life-changing health programs, medicine and medical supplies. Each year, Americares reaches more than 90 countries and all 50 U.S. states with over $600 million in innovative health programs and quality medical aid.
The Deputy Development Director will lead and direct the strategic planning, management and fundraising initiatives for the Strategic Partnerships teams which currently raises over $20 million annually from private donors and over $40 million in multi-year funding from government donors, in addition to bringing in over $800 million in Gift-in-Kind medical donations and products. He/she will oversee stewardship, prospecting, solicitation and moves management and will set goals, oversee all activities, and evaluate results and metrics to ensure that departmental goals are achieved.
This is a newly created position and an opportunity to bring together various teams and build upon their successes to further engage our corporate, government, foundation and pharmaceutical partnerships to integrate our fundraising and programmatic initiatives. The Deputy Development Director will provide leadership, day-to-day management, vision and inspiration to a department of professionals responsible for securing donated products, cause marketing and oversee all work with all our corporate, foundation and pharmaceutical donors and work with our government donors.
In addition, the Deputy Development Director will work collaboratively as a member of the development leadership team working closely with Stewardship, Individual Philanthropy, Events, Direct Response, and Development Operation teams. Reporting to the SVP and Chief Development Officer, the Deputy Development Director requires a “roll up your sleeves” attitude and keen attention to detail and donor moves management processes, reporting, metrics, and team management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Fundraising/ People Leadership
- Manage and grow the Strategic Partnership team to meet or exceed the $25M+ in private and public fundraising, increasing revenue targets each year and secure more than $800 million in Gift-in-Kind;
- Identify, evaluate and cultivate companies, foundations and government donors capable of contributing with special emphasis on six and seven figure gifts;
- Leverage our pharmaceutical partners to maximize our Gift-in-Kind donation program and revenue;
- Mentors and creates staff development goals, using a supportive and collaborative approach and establishes and monitors staff performance accountability, set objectives, establish priorities, and conduct annual performance appraisals;
- Oversee recruitment, selection, training, onboarding, and development of staff within the department;
- Manage a select portfolio of donors; work both independently, as well as collaboratively, with other team members toward the team’s annual goals;
- Lead the moves management system to track and advance current major donors and prospects in the development database;
- Work to help build pipeline of prospects and work with research and stewardship effectively;
- Manage in partnership with team on preparation of meaningful and effective customized collateral as well as grant reports and proposals.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight to the teams working with foundations, corporate and pharmaceutical donors teams while working closely with the SVP and Chief Development Officer;
- Understand and help guide fundraising initiatives with government donors;
- Work with program leadership to advance strategic priorities with funding and create robust partnerships;
- Participate as a member of the development leadership team, responsible for creating and implementing an overall strategic plan for a comprehensive and integrated fundraising approach working across multiple channels;
- Give strategic direction & oversight to the planning, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of high-profile relationships and partnerships critical to Americares success.
- Work directly with the SVP and Chief Development Officer in tracking revenue and planning departmental budgets; ensure best practice use of analytics, data, and metrics to track progress and success of fundraising strategies and tactics;
- Work to maximize fundraising from various donors and ensure that we have a balanced approach in working with diverse donors;
- Help establish performance measures, monitor results, and provide reporting and analysis to assess effectiveness of the organization’s fundraising.
- Provide leadership, day-to-day management, vision and inspiration to a department, creating team collaboration and cohesiveness
- A minimum of 20 years of professional fundraising/development experience, with a clear record of achievement in a complex, mission-driven organization; experience in both corporate, foundation and government fundraising, 15+ years in a management capacity;
- Ideal candidate will have broad experience working for a national level organization with a global perspective;
- Experience with fundraising from government donors and an understanding of the landscape of government fundraising and raising money from government donors;
- Flexible, adaptive, and innovative management style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives;
- Exceptional management skills with a history of success building a high performing team that delivers an integrative, balanced fundraising program;
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement fundraising plans while tracking donors through a moves management system;
- Passion and energy for Americares work;
- Strong interest in and understanding of institutional/foundation support;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required;
- Strategic mindset – sees ahead to future possibilities and outcomes of stewardship activities
- A proven track record of staff development; mentoring and coaching team in achievement of organizational, departmental and individual goals;
- High level of comfort communicating information to a wide range of audiences;
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, specifically with foundations and corporations; ability to identify strategic opportunities, solicit and cultivate relationships and a proven history of closing larger gifts;
- Must possess superior interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work effectively with various internal and external constituencies, successfully navigating and cultivating relationships;
- Exceptional communications skills, both oral and written.
To apply for this job please visit www.simplyhired.com.