Anthem Volunteer Days: Anthem Foundation & multiple charities
Anthem Foundation has helped to earn Anthem wide recognition as a great company to work for. Its employees think so too: “My commitment to giving back is part of who I am and I am grateful to work for a company that believes in giving back,” said one. “I am so proud to work for a company that has so many programs…so happy to know I can continue to volunteer my time to great charities.”
Anthem set as a goal to create a healthier generation of Americans, and it relies on its employees to help achieve that. In 2018, the company launched Anthem for Good, which empowers volunteers to get involved and give back to the community through a series of volunteer opportunities and group service projects to more than 2,300 nonprofit partners.
Anthem for Good seeks to boost the success of nonprofit partners by clearing the way for employees to make a difference. This program has five strategies:
- Provide time to associates to volunteer
- Provide financial assistance to organizations supported by associates
- Recognize, support, motivate, and inspire associates in their volunteer efforts
- Provide associates the opportunity to improve their own health and the health of others through their volunteer efforts
- Provide associates the opportunity to derive greater job satisfaction through their volunteer work.
These objectives are matched through a seven-pronged approach to employee volunteerism that includes time off to volunteer, financial matching grants, specific service days, a volunteer recognition program, a Giving Tuesday program that offer $2 from Anthem for every $1 donated by employees and plenty of communication internally and through multiple channels so that employees are aware of their options.
The results are impressive:
- Participation in volunteer programs increased by 44 percent.
- The total number of group projects increased by 79 percent.
- Volunteer hours increased by 36 percent.
- Markets impacted nearly doubled from 2017 to 2018.
- The number of associates participating in Anthem Volunteer Days grew by 25 percent.
- Associates participation in Giving Tuesday grew by 100 percent.